About Me

My photo
I am an amateur writer, I love to blog and connect with people online. If I could my whole day would be spent just writing.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 24 is National Tortilla Chip Day

The salt, the crunch – load 'em up!

Today is National Tortilla Chip Day, and I'm feeling fine. Once I start crunching those crunchy chips, strips, rounds and triangles, I get on the salt flow and thunder ahead. Just like pretzels at a bar, I can never eat just one. Thankfully, I don't suffer from Addison's disease. Then I'd need to get a personal loan to cover all the consults. There are limits to the amount of salt I can intake.

And what about all the colors?

You've seen white, red, blue, yellow (and sometimes green) tortilla chips out there. They're all tasty. I prefer to eat mine straight, as opposed to going the Doritos route of having artificial flavor injected into my beloved snack. If I'm in need of greater nacho stimulation, I'll go for the salsa (something spicy, or even some nice salsa fresca), queso, sour cream or – and here's where I start to wig out in taste nirvana – guacamole! I say ole!

Tortillas are a staple in numerous countries

Originally named by Spanish conquistadors, tortillas are thin cornmeal or flour pancakes. Their popularity has spread far beyond the Spain-Mexico cradle, and the world is better a place as a result. According to MyPunchBowl, tortilla chips were created by Rebecca Webb Carranza in Los Angeles during the 1940s. Some tortillas came out of the automated tortilla machine misshapen, but Carranza knew that a lack of pleasing roundness wasn't enough reason to let good food go to waste. Cut them into pieces, fry them and sell them for a dime a bag. That's what El Zarape Tortilla Factory did. By 1994, Carranza had won a Golden Tortilla Award for her contribution to Mexican food. ... click here to read the rest of the article titl! ed "February 24 is National Tortilla Chip Day"



No comments:

Post a Comment