About Me

My photo
I am an amateur writer, I love to blog and connect with people online. If I could my whole day would be spent just writing.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead

Photo: commons.wikimedia.org

Photo: commons.wikimedia.org

Did you know the Wizard of Oz played three nights this past weekend? Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the Wizard of Oz graced our television set and maybe yours too.

The Wizard of Oz is such a classic. I hope everyone sees the Wizard of Oz at least once in their life, however, I have to say, as a child it scared me to death.

In Indiana, they are recruiting for the play. They are looking for Munchkins and they have to sing, "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" for the auditions.

I remember in high school when we used to sing, "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" when one teacher walked by. She had such pale skin and she was so mean that we all thought she really was a witch. She would wear black clothes every day.

The Wizard of Oz is a Frank Baum book turned into a musical starring Judy Garland as Dorothy through the magic of Hollywood. It also stars Ray Bloger, Jack Haley and Bert Lahr as the Scarecrow, Tin man and Cowardly Lion. 12 year old Dorothy is a farm girl who runs away and gets caught in a twister while trying to return home to her Aunty Em and Uncle Henry in Kansas. The twister takes her and her house to a fantasy land where she lands the house killing the wicked witch of the West (or East-I can't remember).

Thankfully, Glinda, the good Witch of the North saves her from the wrath of the dead sister witch and places Ruby Red slippers on Dorothy's feet to protect her but by now, Dorothy realizes she really wants to go home and spends the rest of the movie trying to get home. She has to contend with drugged poppies and flying monkeys and the wicked witch but she eventually taps her heels together 3 times and returns to her beloved home.

The music in the Wizard of Oz is terrific. I spent many years singing the songs. Somewhere over the Rainbow turned Judy Garland into a star. What a voice! Along with such classics typically comes controversy and the Wizard of Oz is no exception.

One legend is that one of the Munchkins actually killed him or herself on the set and if you look close, you can see him hanging swinging back and forth while Dorothy, the Tin Man and Scarecrow are singing, "We're off to see the Wizard" and skipping down the yellow brick road. I have looked over and over the film, rewind and slow play and I don't see it. Some claim it was actually a crane or emu that was given to the filming from the Los Angeles Zoo.

There's also a line where Miss Gulch says to bring a damage suit, but it sure sounds like she's saying bring a d*** suit. And what the heck is a damage suit, anyway. But the film makers swear her line says a damage suit. The Wizard of Oz is truly an iconic film that I am glad I have seen and heard all the songs. Ding Dong, the witch is dead…



No comments:

Post a Comment