About Me

My photo
I am an amateur writer, I love to blog and connect with people online. If I could my whole day would be spent just writing.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Strongman Joe Rollino, 104, killed by minivan

Boxer and strongman showed strength to the end

Kid Dundee went out fighting. (Photo: drdarden.com)

“I am leaving, I am leaving”
But the fighter still remains
- “The Boxer,” Simon and Garfunkel

You may be familiar with the “World’s Strongest Man” competition that takes up space in the ESPN programming schedule. The feats of these men are truly extraordinary, but the numbers of interested viewers sadly don’t live up to the muscle mass, steroid-fueled or not. Of course, I’d take out a cash advance if it meant I could carry around the body of a Volkswagen bug and chuck cement-filled beer kegs to great heights. But my results are not typical.

Joe Rollino was a powerhouse

A bona-fide idol of the Association of Oldetime Barbell and Strongmen and a former professional boxer who fought under the name Kid Dundee, the 5-foot-5, 150-pound Joe Rollino was given to extraordinary feats. According to the New York Times, he once lifted 475 pounds with his teeth, 635 pounds with a finger and 3,200 pounds when he put his back into it. Oh, he also bent quarters with his teeth and fingers at parties. … click here to read the rest of the article titled “Strongman Joe Rollino, 104, killed by! minivan



No comments:

Post a Comment