About Me

My photo
I am an amateur writer, I love to blog and connect with people online. If I could my whole day would be spent just writing.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pink Floyd: In the very pink

Sweet Williams are a superatlive variety of garden pinks

Pink Floyd is a very popular online search topic today. I have no idea why, but that doesn't matter. I find it easiest to write about a thing when I know nothing about it and don't care. Pink Floyd is popular right now, which for my purposes is all that matters. Before turning to more interesting uses of the word pink, I shall first bow to any readers who may be looking for  information about Pink Floyd by pointing out that musical recordings can be purchased with the proceeds of small cash loans and then briefly summarizing the relevant Wikipedia entry.

According to Wikipedia

I just read the Wikipedia entry for Pink Floyd. It would appear that the English rock band earned recognition for its psychedelic music in the 1960s and its progressive rock music in the 1970s. Actually, I remember Pink Floyd, but I can't think of anything to add to what Wikipedia has already said, except to point out that when people like Roger Waters, Nick Mason, Richard Wright, and Syd Barrett are members of a collective noun like band, the noun is singular and requires singular verbs and pronouns.

Thus, "the band was" is the proper verb inflection, and not "the band were."  Similarly, "it evolved" (not "they") and "its progressive rock music" (not "their") are the correct pronoun usages when referring to "the band." I think these things would be true even if the Wikipedia entry was -- as I suspect -- written by an Englishman in the mother tongue. Then again, when it comes to matters of grammar and spelling in the mother tongue, I know better than to be certain of anything. In any event, the Wikipedia entry, being very long and heavily linked, is adequate for anyone who wants to read about Pink Floyd. ... click here to read the rest of the article titled "Pink Floyd: In the very pink"



No comments:

Post a Comment