About Me

My photo
I am an amateur writer, I love to blog and connect with people online. If I could my whole day would be spent just writing.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Oreo Fun Barbie

Is this for real? Is there really an Oreo Fun Barbie? Yes, surprisingly there is and it is nothing new. Barbie is known to everyone as the doll with the perfect body that is impossible for any real woman to achieve and therefore, a very bad role model or image model for young girls.

Yet millions of Barbie Dolls have been sold my Mattel since 1959, in all kinds of versions. There have been several controversies surrounding Barbie dolls, including the controversy I mentioned about her unrealistic body image. Along with that, in 1965, one of the Barbie's came with book called How to Lose Weight which stated, Don't eat.

The doll also came with a scale showing 110 pounds which is nearly impossible for most young women to attain. In 1997, they gave Barbie a wider waist. In 1992, Teen Tal Barbie said things like, I love shopping and will we ever have enough clothes. Again, not the best thing to teach young girls as ideal. Then there was Oreo Fun Barbie.

It was introduced in 1997 along with Nabisco to promote Oreo cookies. There was both a black and white version of the Oreo Fun Barbie. However, it didn't go over well in the Black community as some argued that Oreo is a derogatory word that means the person is black on the outside and white inside. Since it didn't do well, and because of the controversy, Barbie and Mattel recalled it.

Now it's a huge collector's item, as it is so hard to find. I want to know how it is possible for Barbie to keep that figure if she's eating Oreos.



No comments:

Post a Comment